Relocating - please follow the link for new content

This archive will stay here - but you can find new posts (as well as this archive) at my new website which is at http://www.stuarteglin.com/. It's the new home for Stuart Eglin Online - including the blog, musings, and details of the publications and services which I have available. Take a look - it's worth a visit!

Monday 11 October 2004

Internet Archive 2 - Sound Tribe Sector 9

I mentioned in an earlier post that there is an amazing internet archive including thousands of live music shows. I am in the middle of listening to a couple of concerts from this archive today. The first one, a Grateful Dead show from the mid-90s is really good. I'm not familiar with much of their work - I have the Live Dead album which I think is excellent. The show from the archive which is over 2 1/2 hours long is amazing.

The other show is the one I really want to write about though. It's by a band I hadn't heard of - Sound Tribe Sector 9. They have a website at www.sts9.com which has some info. The music is made up of a series of lengthy jams - sometimes they sound like the experimental fractals of King Crimson music from the Projekcts albums. Other times they sound like techno-ambient and at times the music takes on a jazz improv feel. Altogether it makes for a brilliant couple of hours of music. There are nearly 200 concerts on the archive website - plenty to choose from. I picked a concert from last month, the most recent one to be uploaded. This whole project is a marvellous way to bring music to a wider audience than it might otherwise achieve.

No comments: