Relocating - please follow the link for new content

This archive will stay here - but you can find new posts (as well as this archive) at my new website which is at http://www.stuarteglin.com/. It's the new home for Stuart Eglin Online - including the blog, musings, and details of the publications and services which I have available. Take a look - it's worth a visit!

Thursday 3 July 2003

Wednesday - travelling again again again

I'm writing this whilst wobbling about on one of the not so new Virgin West Coast trains from London to the North West of England. The last couple of days I have travelled a thousand miles, half by train and half by car.

As a result the creative expression is a bit low and lacking.

At the beginning of the week I received a real treat through the post. I had subscribed to 'The Wire' magazine, and with the subscription came a stack of compilation CDs as an opening gift. They are amazing - a hugely diverse spread of music across 4 CDs totalling some 5 hours of music. If there is so much diversity and creativity out there, why is that the mainstream music industry is so sterile and narrow in its outlook.

It's too early so far to say who I am really impressed with - after one listen I feel I need a lot more play throughs to get what is really going on here.

At the weekend I also bought some new CDs - a great range from The English Suites of Bach played by Glenn Gould, to Jane Birkin's 'arabesque'. I also got 'Bangra Beatz' which is a compilation album on the Naxos label - a great introduction to the music of bangra. The music all comes from a record label, Kiss, which is based in Oldham. Local talent!

Plenty of music to keep me busy there then…

On the writing front, it is difficult to take anything forwards when the day job is so all consuming, but the rest of the week should see a change to all that.

the longer view
showing through
with all the patience of nature

No comments: