Relocating - please follow the link for new content

This archive will stay here - but you can find new posts (as well as this archive) at my new website which is at http://www.stuarteglin.com/. It's the new home for Stuart Eglin Online - including the blog, musings, and details of the publications and services which I have available. Take a look - it's worth a visit!

Tuesday 19 August 2003

What's he building in there?

I've been back from holiday for a week now, and things have been really hectic. I'm just finding time to rise out of the chaos and resume the weblog.

The holiday - a week in Languedoc, South France followed by a week on the coast near Begur in Catalonia, Northern Spain. Then, to finish, a weekend in Barcelona. Different cultures, diverse experiences - a fabulous time experienced by the whole family.

High points - all of the Gaudi in Barcelona (especially Sagrada Familia, El Pedrere), the Kandinsky exhibition, the Dali Museum in Figueres, Picasso Museum, waking to the sound of the sea in the mornings, the beach in the cove at Sa Tuna, the medieval town of Pals, the fortified town of Carcasonnes, the tiny harbour of Marseillan.

The huge blast of art, architecture and culture in Barcelona left me thirsting for more time to write.

I took a dozen CDs away, and half way through the holiday the only trace of home sickness was a yearning for the rest of my CD collection.

The CD which has been haunting me over the last couple of months would be 'blemish' by David Sylvian. I keep hearing new things in this music in spite of it being so seemingly minimalist.

I didn't read any poetry this holiday (but I did write two poems). I did read 'Anil's Ghost' by Michael Ondaatje which is a marvellously accomplished novel. I love Ondaatje's poetic prose style. He is not as experimental as he used to be, but this is a powerful novel.

I'm also part way through 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel (Ondaatje's fellow Canadian). This is shaping up as a great read - truly original.

Before going away I stumbled across the fact that my local library will arrange an inter-library loan for just GBP 1.50. This means that I can get hold of any book in any UK library for such a paltry sum. I have just managed to track down a copy of 'Withymead' by Anthony Stevens which is about the art therapy community in Devon founded by Jungians. To be able to find any book, whether in print or not, is incredible!


No comments: