Relocating - please follow the link for new content

This archive will stay here - but you can find new posts (as well as this archive) at my new website which is at http://www.stuarteglin.com/. It's the new home for Stuart Eglin Online - including the blog, musings, and details of the publications and services which I have available. Take a look - it's worth a visit!

Wednesday 7 April 2004

Mitchell and Nelson – alphabetical partners

Latest obsession is the music of Joni Mitchell. I’m revisiting some albums I haven’t heard for probably 20 years. And I am listening to some for the first time. As it says in the biography which I am reading (Joni Mitchell: Shadows and Light, by Karen O’Brien) she is “renaissance woman, painter and poet, one of the great formative influences on contemporary popular music”. The website dedicated to her is pretty good too.

Another website I have revisited recently for the first time in a while is Bill Nelson’s website, Permanent Flame. There’s a really good diary at this site which is worth a look. Bill Nelson has given up on the recording industry and gone out on his own to produce music himself using Lenin Records for distribution. I remember being really enthusiastic about the music of Be Bop Deluxe when Nelson was their guitarist. I’m curious to hear some of his more recent stuff. The last I heard by him was a few tracks on a compilation from Robert Fripp’s label. These were highly creative, imaginative and eclectic pieces with great tunes too!

No comments: